church building is in the parish of Lille, in Grand Isle Township, Maine.
Official Catholic religious services ceased in 1978, and the church was
acquired by LíAssociation culturelle et historique du Mont-Carmel in 1984.
It was built in 1909 by Edmundston contractor LÈonide GagnÈ from plans
by architect Theo. Daust. The National Register nomination describes the
church as "a structure reflecting a high style form which has been expressed
in a vernacular manner." The reference to high style form includes its
nave with adjacent aisles, towering clerestory, elaborately fenestrated
facade, and twin Baroque-style belfries. The vernacular aspects of the
church include its wooden structure, clapboard exterior, simple wooden
moldings, and hand-marbleized interior columns.
LíAssociation is restoring the church building to house and interpret
collections and to provide a venue for cultural programs. Interpretive
efforts utilize a large collection of religious artifacts, and the building
itself, to relate the influence of religion in the Valley.